Monday, November 3, 2008

How's the View?

Here is a copy of the letter that was sent to the World Herald last week. Rather than put it in the comment section, I have decided to post it here. Enjoy!

One woman's view

I have noticed that recent anti-abortion letters have been written by men, who will never enter a pregnancy unwillingly or experience the trauma of giving birth. This grandmother thinks they need to button their lips. William C.Altman (Oct. 8 Pulse) speaks of a well-formed conscience. Fine, but that is his conscience, not mine. Nor is his conscience shared by other people whom he would malign. I am a Christian also and attend church regularly. But I know that the moral catechism he mentioned was conceived by a patriarchal society. Women were not consulted. What should concern us is that 30,000 children die every day of poverty, disease and hunger. That is the moral issue.
Jolene Ross, Omaha


(emphasis mine)
Jon

2 comments:

YourBrother said...

I guess what's most disturbing is that someone who claims to be a Christian thinks that when it comes to right and wrong a person's (HER) feelings/opinions matter.
It's all about ME.
I would like to blame feminism, but that type of thinking is pervasive in our society. I guess that's exactly what you get when you deny God/God's authority -- suddenly you're left with nothing but appeasing self.
This also is displayed when it comes to how people ("Christians") are choosing to vote -- the only issue that affects ME is the economy.

Pastor Jon said...

I think that you are right.
I not only think that people struggle with God's authority, I think that people deny ALL authority.
After all, aren't I the most important person I know?