Monday, November 17, 2008

Like it or Not

I have been silent on the blog for a few days. For those of you who do not know, the last 10 days have been prime days for deer hunting. The deer have entered the rut and the bucks are looking for does. (In turn, the hunters are looking for bucks)

It is bow season in Iowa at this time and I have dedicated my extra hours to this honorable pursuit. In fact, I have dedicated so much time that it is becoming work rather than fun. What I mean is that it has gotten to the point that I feel that I have to go hunting even if I do not feel up to it. After all, these are the best two weeks of the year.

I feel guilty when I have the time to hunt but I am not in the stand. I feel guilty if I allow other things to take me from the woods. I feel like I have to be in the woods at every opportunity, and if I am not, it is because I am lazy and not dedicated to this sport. Maybe I am a wimp because it is too windy, or too cold, or too early; But I have not yet succumbed to this temptation to do other things.

I will stand fast. I will stand firm. I am dedicated to this sport. I will have fun whether I like it or not!

Oh, I just looked at the clock. I have time to go back out.

6 comments:

jubilee said...

Yeah, and get back to it, why dontcha. People 'round here need to eat! BG

The Calm One would be jealous (if it weren't a sin) of "all" the time you have to hunt. Between work and getting the house into move-in condition, he'll be fortunate to get two days during shotgun season.

Enjoy. A-hem

YourBrother said...

The Calm One :) haha

Jon, life is so much nicer when you realize that you don't have to be a slave to something that used to be a selfish priority.
Oops. The fact that that statement is coming from me probably hurts my case, doesn't it?

YourBrother said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
YourBrother said...

I have a serious question for you. I will gladly accept advice from anyone on this topic. I hope it's okay that I ask here.

The following is a statement someone made on a Christian board where I am a moderator:

-- "I also strongly believe the KJV should be respectfully retired. It uses archaic language from 1611 and is not as accurate as some modern translations. It places an unnecessary stumbling block for modern readers. Unfortunately many Christians have incorrectly made the translation an idol and a sacred tradition." --

I have asked the other moderators what course of action I should take since I cannot in good conscience allow this statement to go unchallenged, but I don't want to start a detrimental war on this topic either.

I have said that if they don't want to get involved, I will simply post something like this:

"I exclusively use the KJV and believe it is neither archaic, nor inaccurate -- nor a stumbling block; but it is the only completely accurate translation; the most masterful piece of literature of all time with timeless words and phrasing, masterful use of rhyme, rhythm, and poetic devices; containing a self-defining dictionary, written at a reading level where all readers can learn all of the nuances of biblical truth, containing insight into the English language that causes secular universities to study it for the sake of understanding all of the implications of letter, word, and phrase combinations, meter, and poetry that cause standard-written English to be the most inclusive, intuitive, descriptive, and profound languages on the planet."

Would that be okay? How should my statement be changed/edited?

I welcome grammatical (or other) input from those with English degrees also. :P (hint, hint)

jubilee said...

OoooOOoooo. I hate grammar. Is that weird coming from an English major?
You can email me (notesofjubilee@gmail.com) if you want input from a long-distance relative. It'll be a short reply, though, I can tell you. BG

YourBrother said...

Haha, thanks. :)
I didn't mean to imply that I was expecting help. I was just throwing it out there in case anyone wanted to point out my errors (while recognizing I probably had some that would stand out to someone else) since I'd kinda gotten lost in my own sentence.
And look ------>
I was right!