Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Time to get out!

I found out today how much it costs to keep our house in hot water. We have not turned our heat on yet this year and our fireplace is shut off. The only thing that we have requiring propane is our hot water heater. Over the summer and into this fall we have averaged over $100.00 per month in propane costs.

I was sure we had to have a leak somewhere. There was no way we were using that much propane in one hot water heater. Today I had our farm service company come out and pressurize our system. I wanted to determine where the leak was.

We checked the pipe that runs underground. We checked the piping in the house. We checked all of the fittings and the regulators. No leaks. Finally after 2 hours, the two farm service men came up with the solution. "How many girls live in your house?", they asked me. "Four", I said.

"A ha! We found the leak. You are losing most of your propane between the 6th and 25th minute of each girls shower. Give them a timer and more propane will be in your tank at the end of every month!"

Now I ask you, how long should a girl spend in the shower? I need to know what to set the timer for.

5 comments:

YourBrother said...

Make sure you let us know how this works out!

jubilee said...

A girl should be able to take as long as she needs. If you were a woman (and thank goodness you're not - I'm just sayin') you'd understand this. BG

My oldest son went from taking two minute showers to spending more time in the shower than I do. What's up with that?! He hasn't even hit the tweens yet.

Pastor Jon said...

Why should a girl be able to take as long as she needs and not a boy? Isn't there a point where a shower goes from being a necessity to a luxury?
I understand that they have more hair to wash (and shave) but there has to be a timeframe in which they can get that accomplished. How much time does that take?

Anonymous said...

It takes me seven minutes to wash me, shampoo, condition, and rinse my hair. And I have short(er) hair! Shaving adds two more minutes.

How about a water saver? You flip the switch to stop the water flow while you are shampooing and turn it back on when ready to rinse. That will stop the water flow drain as well as speed up the shampooing process, because it's a little chilly standing there washing while the water is off! : )

Pastor Jon said...

So right now the general consensus is that they should have between 7 minutes and as long as they want to shower.

How about this for a compromise... If they want to take longer to bathe than 7 minutes, they should take a bath?