Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pull up your Breeches

I bought a new version of the English Bible a couple of weeks ago. I have enjoyed reading it while relaxing in the evening. Those that know me well may be surprised that I have purchased a version other than the KJV.
The most interesting thing about this new version is that it is written in pretty modern English. There are a few verses however that don't use modern words. For instance, Genesis 3:7 (speaking of Adam and Eve) "Then the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked, and they sewed fig tree leaves together, and made themselves breeches."
This is why the Bible I bought, formally called "The Geneva Bible", is nicknamed "The Breeches Bible". I purchased a copy of the 1599 edition. The Geneva Bible was the English version used by our Founding Fathers. It is a very easy read though not as poetic as the King James. For those that think the Old English is beyond our ability to understand, this Bible version could change your thinking. I purchased mine (bonded leather) from: http://www.reformationbookstore.com/

(If the web address doesn't show up as a link, copy it and paste it in your browser)

If you like to compare Bible versions when you study the Word, purchase the Geneva Bible. I think you'll enjoy it.

7 comments:

YourBrother said...

So... should I be worried about your salvation now?

jubilee said...

Those that know me well may be surprised that I have purchased a version other than the KJV.

Surprise is a little tame for the emotion I was experiencing. However, once I recovered my faculties, I remembered that Grandpa purchased and owned several versions other than KJV for comparison's sake. If that's the case, then buy all means (LOL, I crack myself up. You, however are allowed to groan).

My history is a little rusty, so I looked up The Geneva Bible on Wikipedia. You may be interested to read what they say there. Not that I am necessarily endorsing what they say, mind you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Bible

Pastor Jon said...

I didn't intend to convey any confusion in the area of what version of the Bible I use. For a multitude of reasons, the Authorized Version is my authority.

I trust it's accuracy with my life!

YourBrother said...

its :P
wish I knew how to edit your comment for you...

Pastor Jon said...

I wish I knew how to edit my comments to.
Ha Ha
Gotcha!
(too)

I also wish that I knew how to edit my comments.

I wish that I knew how to edit my comments also?

I also with that I knew how to edit my comments?

I wish I could edit my comments as well?

No, I wish that I could edit my comments as well as you!
I also wish that I could edit my comments as well as you can. (could?)

Pastor Jon said...

See?
I'd a edited the last one. I mess'd up a "wish" and made it a "with"

YourBrother said...

=D
I know my posts/comments have/will have errors in them. I wish you would edit them for me.
(seriously)