Monday, December 14, 2009

Paul, not Christ?

My apologies to Jon for posting on top of his recent posts. But I kind of feel like I should work on finishing what I started earlier.
This is my second post detailing my thoughts on Lakeview Bible Church’s Statement of Doctrine. Instead of sharing my specific thoughts right here, I’m going to detail their beliefs the way I understand them. I will save my own thoughts for the comments section, should it come up.
(Feel free to use the comments section to challenge or ask questions about what is posted -- now and always.)

K. Mission
The mission and commission of the Church, which is the Body of Christ,
is to follow the revelation of the truth which our Lord Jesus Christ in
glory revealed to the Apostle Paul for us. That gospel which Paul called “my gospel” in contrast to the gospel of the circumcision (Israel) is God’s message for today.
So, as Paul, we should strive to preach the gospel in the regions
beyond where Christ is not named.
(Romans 2:16, 11:13, 15:16, 15:20 and 16:25; 1 Corinthians 4:16 and 11:1;
2 Corinthians 10:16; 2 Corinthians 5:14-21; Galatians 1:6, 9, 11 and 2:2, 5:7;
Ephesians 3:1-2; Philippians 3:17, 1 Thessalonians 1:6;
1 Timothy 2:7; 2 Timothy 1:11 and 2:2 &8)


There are 3 parts to this mission statement. I will break them down for you along with the applicable verses from those listed in their statement of faith. I am listing these verses out here to get your thoughts moving. My understanding of their points in green.

1. The mission and commission of the Church, which is the Body of Christ, is to follow the revelation of the truth which our Lord Jesus Christ in glory revealed to the Apostle Paul for us.

(Paul was given special revelation to become God’s minister to the Gentiles. These are the teachings the church is to follow.)

Galatians 1:6-12 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. 10For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. 11But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 3:1 1For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, 2If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
Galatians 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

2. That gospel which Paul called “my gospel” in contrast to the gospel of the circumcision (Israel) is God’s message for today.

(Paul was given a new gospel to preach among the Gentiles. This new gospel was the special revelation that God had given to him – previously a mystery (unknown, hidden by God). He refers to it as “my gospel” and the “Gospel of the Uncircumcision” in contrast to the gospel that was given by Jesus and was being preached by the disciples.)

Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Romans 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
Romans 15:16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.
Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
Galatians 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
2 Timothy 1:11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
2 Timothy 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:


3. So, as Paul, we should strive to preach the gospel in the regions beyond where Christ is not named.

(Paul was given a new gospel and a new audience. Since we belong to the new audience, saved under the new gospel, our example is not the disciples’ following Jesus’s command to preach His gospel and baptize, but rather our example is Paul. Paul himself told us to be followers of him, and he believed his mission was to preach his gospel to everyone who had not heard it.)

Romans 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:
1 Corinthians 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:16 To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man’s line of things made ready to our hand.
2 Corinthians 5:14-21 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again. 16Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. 17Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 18And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 20Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
1 Thessalonians 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:


-- YourBrother

3 comments:

YourBrother said...

If you need a thorough breakdown of what the 2 different gospels are (Paul's gospel vs. the Gospel of the Circumcision) here's a link:
(to copy and paste)

http://www.matthewmcgee.org/2gospels.html

Pastor Jon said...

Don't ever apologize for posting soon after a post of mine. The more, the...

Pastor Jon said...

YourBrother,
I was hoping for a follow-up to this post. Are you intending to follow it up?