Friday, February 27, 2009

For heaven's sake too!

In two days I will be delivering a sermon that I wrote about last week. I was supposing that someone would comment with at least a speculation as to what I meant, or what passage of scripture I would use.

I think that the passage I will use to demonstrate this heart issue is Luke chapter six. Let me present the first two verses:
Luke 6:1 And it came to pass on the second sabbath after the first, that he went through the corn fields; and his disciples plucked the ears of corn, and did eat, rubbing them in their hands. 2And certain of the Pharisees said unto them, Why do ye that which is not lawful to do on the sabbath days?

This is just a taste of what the passage is about. I would encourage you to read the previous chapter and at least the first eleven verses of chapter six.
Doing nothing for Jesus can be a compliment or an indictment. It is not what you aren't doing that determines which it is. It is what you are doing that has significance. The issue in Luke chapter six is a lack of understanding both of who Jesus was, and what the Sabbath was about.

Do you know the purpose of the Sabbath?

Exodus 16:21-29; Exodus 20:8-11;
Exodus 31:16-17 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Matthew 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

Mark 2:27 27And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Let me ask this, what were the Pharisees doing wrong?

No comments: