Monday, September 28, 2009

Alone Together still

The leadership of our church has decided to move toward a small group ministry. In doing so we recognized the need to teach through the reasons that we find small group ministries important. Yesterday I started a series in which I will preach on some of the responsibilities of the New Testament Church and how small groups can assist us in fulfilling those callings. The topic yesterday was fellowship. The point that I wanted to get across was that Biblical Fellowship can't take place if we are excluding the Lord.
I think that we label a lot of things as "fellowship". We get together for hobbies, sporting events, potlucks, and even movie events. Oftentimes, even at these church events, we enjoy our fellowship without it bringing us any closer to the Lord. I think that true Biblical Fellowship is experiencing God together.

I was reading in Hebrews chapter ten last week and I noticed that before we are called to "consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together..." we are reminded that we have "boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which he hath consecrated..."
As I went back to Exodus to look closer at the "holiest" (the Holy of Holies) I was reminded of all the times the High Priest went in (once a year) alone. Now however, because of the blood of Jesus, we are able to enter the "holiest" (anytime) together. This is how I picture Biblical Fellowship. Walking into the holy of holies, hand in hand. If there is anything preventing us from wanting to walk behind the veil (figurative) with our spouse, our children, our family or others in our church, we cannot experience true Biblical Fellowship with them.

Last night we also had a vote on calling a preaching pastor. The vote was close but we didn't have the percentage necessary to call him. This was difficult news for many in the church. I want to again ask those of you who have been so faithful in prayer to continue to pray for our church at this time. It is difficult to see so many hurting people. I pray that even through something as difficult as this, our church will experience God together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your blog photo says it all regarding how you are rearing your girls in the context of this particular message. How beautiful that you are pictured walking hand-in-hand....

Pastor Jon said...

Thanks for your encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for Valley View daily!

Jim