Friday, May 15, 2009

PER U SE Philippians 1

Karen and I took the girls on a canoe trip last Saturday with some other families from our home school group. What perfect weather we had for our trip! I must say that it has really gotten me into the camping mood. In fact, I would have liked to have gone camping this weekend but we have too many things going on to be able to get away.
Tonight the girls are going to a play at one of the Community Theaters in town while Karen and I are going out to dinner (we had pizza from the gas station last week on our anniversary). We also have a church league softball game to participate in at 9:30 p.m. Tomorrow we have two graduation parties to attend, a bike ride scheduled with Karen's dad, and a dinner to put on for her family (She is making Rueben's, one of my favorite meals!).
Right now we are toying with the possibility of going camping on Monday and Tuesday but Emily has driver's education classes every morning next week and we would rather she not miss them.

For those of you that don't know, our church is sending a group of people on a mission's trip to Peru this summer. I am excited that my brother Chad is going with the group. Unfortunately I have not had much time to talk with him about this, but the Lord has been bringing him to my mind frequently. I know from personal experience how much something like this can impact his life and I want to be faithful in praying to that end. I know that many of you are also praying for him too. I would ask that you not just pray for his safety, or for his family as he is away, but that you would commit to praying for his spiritual well being and growth.
On Wednesday nights at church we have been memorizing the book of Philippians together. The purpose of this is to learn to pray for spiritual things rather than temporal. I would like to share some of my thoughts from chapter one regarding Chad and his upcoming trip.

Paul says in verses 3-4 "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy... " and I want to ask that God remind me as well to remember Chad and to joyfully pray for him.

In verse 7 "...I have you in my heart...and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace." I know that Chad will have the opportunity to defend and confirm the gospel by his testimony and work ethic on this trip. I know that the Lord will provide him the grace to do everything required of him, and I pray that he will draw on it.

In verse 9 "And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more..." I pray that Chad will not only have a love for the people of Peru but also for the members on his team. It can be difficult traveling and living for two weeks with people that you hardly know.

In verse 10 "That ye may approve things that are excellent, that ye may be sincere and without offense..." I pray that Chad will be supportive of others and their ideas. I pray that the sincerity of his heart will be evident to those that he works with and those that he meets.

In verse 11 "Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ..." I pray that his fruits will be sweet to others.

Verse 12 "But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;" Most of all, I want to pray that regardless of what happens; whether the Lord chooses to keep him healthy or even whether the Lord chooses to keep him safe, that the things which happen unto him will be for the furtherance of the gospel!

Verse 21 "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."
Verse 25-26 "And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith; That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again.

What can you find in Philippians chapter 1 to pray for Chad with me?

3 comments:

jubilee said...

Committing to pray, and not just peruse Phil 1 for Chad.

(U R Fun-to-the-E, BTW.)

Pastor Jon said...

I knew that if anyone got the "Peru, peruse, and use" Philippians 1 in the title, it would be you. Thanks Jubilee!
Jon

Anonymous said...

V 20 ...Christ will be magnified in Chad's body (as he may have to eat some unappetizing food, so as not to offend others).
V 27 ...Chad's words will be pleasing to Christ and encouraging to others. That Chad and the team will strive together in one spirit, with one mind.