Monday, October 13, 2008

Silver (forty) Dollar City

I just wanted to let everyone know that I had not dropped off the face of the earth. I have been meaning to write more often but life has gotten in the way. Our girls have started back to school (home school) and this has taken up some time. I have made an effort to be more involved, particularly in Emily's Bible class. I have really challenged her and she is doing well. I wish that I had the benefit of the knowledge she is gaining at her age. (The fact that I didn't was through no ones fault but my own) All of our girls are so faithful in their Bible reading that it puts my teenage years to shame.

I don't mean to get too personal but I know that the Lord is working in Kaylin's life as well. He has used several things over the last week to challenge her heart and her commitment. It is exciting to see how he uses her classes along with the messages at church to let her know that he has a plan for her life. She definitely has a heart for missions so we will see what develops as the years go by. When we hear the girls talk of their future, it is a good reminder to be in prayer for their future husbands. What lucky men!

We took the opportunity a week ago to attend the home school days at Silver Dollar City. In order to afford the trip, we sat through two separate "time-share" presentations. Most people do not have the patience to attend these presentations but they are well worth it (for the gifts). We were given three nights in a hotel, as well as dinner vouchers, and 4 two day passes to Silver Dollar City. This resulted in it only costing our family of five $40.00 total for our two day passes.
We had a good time as a family, though I can't believe people are willing to pay so much for tickets to a place where 80% of what they offer is shopping. You cannot leave a ride or an activity without passing through a store to get out. Apparently it is a wise marketing move, but after 2 days, I've had my fill. Maybe those future husbands I was talking about will be willing to take them again some day.

We are looking forward to this weekend as we have church activities going on at our house for two different churches this Friday and Saturday. Preparing for that has taken up much of our time the last few weeks as well. Karen wanted a new bonfire ring put in and it took me almost a month to complete it!

Wednesday evenings I have started a new series at church on the book of Malachi. In all honesty, as much as I love the Pauline epistles, I have thoroughly enjoyed preparing to teach through this book. What a great reminder it is to take an honest look at what we are giving to God. I may take the opportunity to write a condensed version of some of the messages here on the blog.

Thanks for taking the time to read this update, I will add more soon. (soon is relative)

Oh, deer season opened for the fall. Maybe I'll have another story to add before it's over!

3 comments:

jubilee said...

I had to snicker at your clever post title! And to think that the three years I lived 25 miles from Sliver Dollar City, I never once visited.

I am looking forward to reading your take on Malachi . . .

Love to you and your family!

YourBrother said...

glad to hear you're still alive. Thanks for the family update!

Pastor Jon said...

Jubilee, thanks for appreciating the title! I would have assumed that as a group some of you would have made the 25 mile jaunt to the south. What were you doing with all of your time? I didn't think college students really studied.