Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Looking for a Revelation

On Monday morning of this week, when I came home from work, Karen had two questions ready for me when I walked through the door. These were not the scary type of questions but rather the fun type as they related to a sermon that she had heard the day before. In aswering her questions, I decided to put it to paper in order to share my answer with another fellow from church.
I have now decided to post the questions (and my answers) here. I am hoping that I may receive a response that will challenge my understanding. Please feel free to weigh in with your opinion.

Revelation Questions

1) Who are the angels that are referred to when it says “Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write:”?
In Revelation 1:20 it says that the seven stars “symbolize” the seven angels. The Greek word here is “angelos” meaning “messenger”. How many times in the Bible did God use his angels as messengers? There are three common opinions as to who these angels were:
They are Guardian Angels assigned to watch over the churches.
They were the Pastors of these seven churches.
They were messengers sent from the seven churches to John.

In looking at these three ideas, which seems to fit the best with the Scriptures as a whole? All may be plausible, yet why would Christ address his message to celestial beings as would be the case if the “angels” were guardian angels?
We also know that Pastors are messengers. They are to feed the flock by Bible preaching. However, the church at Ephesus had many pastors (Acts 20:17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.) so why wouldn’t Revelation 2:1 read “Unto the angels of the church of Ephesus” In addition, as near as we can tell, most of the New Testament Churches had a plurality of Pastors. In fact, the Jews had a plurality of Elders throughout their long history. It would seem then, that all of the letters would have been “to the angels”.
The Bible also gives us evidence that the New Testament Churches used messengers.
II Corinthians 8:23 Whether any do inquire of Titus, he is my partner and fellowhelper concerning you: or our brethren be inquired of, they are the messengers of the churches, and the glory of Christ.
These messengers may have been Pastors as well, with their primary role being that of messenger. As a matter of fact, Paul himself is called an angel of God when he is referring to himself as a messenger and Pastor in Galatians 4:14 - And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.
It appears then that these “angels” that were sent to the local churches were messengers of the churches. They may have pastors as well, though there is little reason to believe that they were the only pastors in each church.

2) Who were the Nicolaitans in Revelation 2:6, 15?
It is interesting to note that in chapter 2 of Revelation, we see a progression among the churches. The message to the church at Ephesus was that they “hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.” This comes after they are commended for “trying” those who claimed to be apostles, and were not. However, two churches later in chapter 2 we see a problem. The church at Pergamos “hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate”.
It is interesting to note that this is the only information we have regarding the Nicolaitans. How do we determine who, or what, they were?


If we break the word down we find two Greek words:
Nikao-“to conquer” Laos-“laity” or “the people”
A literal definition could be “to conquer the people” or “to conquer the laity”. This would fit with what he was commending the Ephesus Church for. They “tried them which say they are apostles, and are not,”(2:2). Why would someone come to the church at Ephesus and claim to be an apostle if they were not an apostle? The only reason is that they had a desire to “rule” the people.
Today this is most commonly found in the Roman Catholic Church. The laity is not allowed to read the Bible or interpret it for themselves. They have to get their understanding of the Word of God from the Priest or the Pope. We need to be careful not to fall into this trap ourselves. We can do the same thing with some of the requirements that we place on people.
Matthew 23:4-12 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 6And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. 8But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 9And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 10Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. 11But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

8 comments:

YourBrother said...

Thanks for presenting scriptural explanations for these questions. But this got me thinking...
Since Revelation was not written to us (gentile believers) based on the doctrines, our lack of mention, the author, (and the lack of application for us since we won't be around during this time); it was written to the Jewish churches in Asia -- does this mean that Gentile believers and Jewish believers during the present age have different promises for the present, the tribulation, and millenium?
It sure seems from what is said that the audience written to either has to operate under the Mosaic Law, or under Kingdom Law.
So it's either written to the Kingdom churches (which would include tribulation churches), or it's applicable to current Jewish churches.
This isn't intended to be a leading question. I'm really wanting to know the answer.
Am I off in my assumptions somewhere?

Pastor Jon said...

I think that most people (and certainly I) would agree that Revelation was not written to apply to Gentile believers in this church age. Does this mean that the Jewish believers have different promises in this age than they did in the last, or than they will in the future?
My first reaction is to say yes...and no.
I want to take my time before answering this. I will write more when I can. Jon

YourBrother said...

I think I realized what I was forgetting.
Jesus initiated the Kingdom Age. The Jews at the time Revelation was written (prior to the destruction of the temple) were living under those guidelines that he had set up for His Kingdom. They weren't under the Age of Grace at that point, they were living under the same law as they will be during the tribulation.
After the destruction of the temple, this age was put on hold until the temple is rebuilt. So they now are part of the Age of Grace.
Am I explaining that in a sensible way? Am I missing something?

Pastor Jon said...

You are explaining in a sensible way, though I doubt everyone will be able to follow you. I would not say for a certainty that it was the destruction of the temple that was the deciding factor though. I would venture to guess that the Lord allowed the destruction of the temple because the Jews hadn't accepted him or the kingdom.
The real jewel is that the Jews were supposed to be living as if the kingdom had been ushered in. They were under Kingdom law. This really helps people see why Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell all and give to the poor.
Some would say that the Age of Grace began at the resurrection, though I find no evidence for that. They get their understanding by pointing to the thief on the cross (though that was before the resurrection). I would agree that the thief did not fall under OT law but I would say that he was justified under Kingdom law.
In order to bring complete clarity to this, I would need more than the comment section of this blog. I would also need some more time because I am still discovering things on an almost daily basis. One of the books that I have been concentrating on for the last couple of months is the book of Malachi.
Malachi saw both advents of Christ as one event. That fact, along with what Malachi says of Israel has helped my understanding lately. It has helped me get a clearer picture of what the things look like with the Age of Grace removed from the timeline.
Read it closely and let me know what you think. Keep in mind, Christ came in one advent, and has one more to go. Malachi predicts a forerunner...
OOPS, I am getting into material that I was saving for a later post. Anything you would like to say on the topic before then would benefit me when I complete that post!

YourBrother said...

Thanks for the tip on Malachi. I've actually been studying (reading) the events from a Jewish perspective (Jewish teaching) to get a more clear picture of how Jesus and the Age of Grace fit into God's overall work -- since we ("Christians") are such a small interlude.
I find this interesting:
Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

John is already identifying his role as what Jews believe their Kingdom job will be - He wasn't in "christian missions" mode, he was identifying his role as a Jew during the Messiah's reign.
Exodus 19:5-6 "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel"

Sorry to hijack your post. :) Thanks for your help.

Pastor Jon said...

This post is intended to be hijacked. It helps when comments are made. When responses come in it encourages me to keep writing.

I appreciate how you are looking at things from a Jewish perspective, if more Christians did that, our understanding of the Bible would improve. In response to what you are writing, I am going to post some verses for everyone to read and discuss. Thanks for writing, Jon

YourBrother said...

This brings up a new question. Who are the 24 elders? I believe they identify themselves with both groups (Jews and Gentiles). Heads of the 12 tribes, and 12 God-appointed apostles?

Revelation 5:8 - 10 (KJV) 8And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. 9And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; 10And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Are they just representatives of all of God's people?

I guess John (in chapter 1) is just repeating this same role. I suppose either way he's already speaking in Kingdom positions. But maybe not exclusive to Jews.

Pastor Jon said...

Yes, they are representatives of God's people. They are redeemed. At this time I have not found where the Bible has given me any more information than that. Anything that I would say on the subject would be pure speculation. Maybe someday I will have a better answer than that for you. I have looked for further scriptural indications as to their specific identities for several years but, as of yet, I have nothing to hang my hat on.