Saturday, May 31, 2008

Mad Master or pocket pansy

Please do not take offense at the title without looking for a little perspective.

II Kings 22:13 "Go ye, inquire of the LORD for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that is found: for great is the wrath of the LORD that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened unto the words of this book, to do according unto all that which is written concerning us."

Josiah blamed it on the fathers. Could it be that we are the fathers?

The fact of the matter is that some day my kids are going to look back over the things that I have taught them and find fault. I can spend my whole life studying the book and still not have it "mastered". [(Though I could go to seminary and get a certificate that says I am a master.) Matthew 23:8 "But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 9And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 10Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ."] Yet I think there is a heart attitude that we need to have. A heart attitude that shows our children that we still have a desire to learn, even a desire to be instructed when we have something wrong. A sincere desire to serve the Lord, especially when others are putting on the pressure!

Josiah had a fear (not just respect) of God because the nation of Israel had added idols, false gods, to their beliefs. Have we done the same thing? What are the idols that we put in place? What is there in our life that supersedes the scriptures? What do we worship? Do you have a fear of not following the book?
I Corinthians 15:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong!

Let me ask one more question. Is God still a God of wrath? Think carefully before answering this question!

To tie this into my last post, I needn't be discouraged because the timing and the results are not what I expected. I need to hunt until the season is over and just be thankful for the opportunity God has given me. Yet I recognize that God can still deliver the deer, skinned and all, if He chooses.

No comments: