Sunday, May 4, 2008

Married Up

Karen and I have an anniversary this week. May 8th. It may not be one of the big ones, but it means a lot to me. We were married young (against the advice of some) and we have "grown up" together. I know that many of you are thinking that I have much to be thankful for. I do.

As I have been thinking for the last two days about how busy our week is going to be, (and how I need to fit in some time to show Karen how much I appreciate her) I have also been thinking about our time together. As I review our marriage, something very significant comes to my mind. In the 15 years we have been married, I have never had to listen to anyone make negative or disparaging remarks about my wife. I am not only grateful for the lady that she is, but for the lady that she is perceived to be. No doubt, I married up!

The flip side is that she is not able to say the same. She has had to listen to many negative remarks about the man that she married. All of them probably having some percentage of merit. This is not over for her either. I would imagine that over the next year she will hear many more. I pray that the Lord will help me be sensitive to how that makes her feel. I pray that the Lord will help me protect and love her as she needs. I pray that at this time next year, we are even more thankful that the Lord has brought us together, that He has made us who we are, that we are not fearful to serve, that we live by faith, and that we find ourselves looking forward with anticipation to the years ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I guess I too have been in those shoes and still am. As fellow journeymen on the road of ministry please know that Kristin (my wife) and I will be praying for you all. It is true that the fires of adversity do forge a stronger marriage but the pounding is also painful. May He richly Bless you and grant His favor to you.

Numbers 6:22 vv. "The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace."

Pastor Jon said...

Mark, it is good to hear encouragement, especially from someone with the years of experience in ministry that you have. Thanks cousin, Jon