Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hypocrite?


It seems that in recent years the most stated reason for youth "abandoning the faith" is that they feel their parents are hypocrites. Hearing this reason stated repeatedly over the last two years, Karen and I have constantly been evaluating how our children perceive us. During this time we have had several concerns. I think that these have been due to the enormous responsibility of rearing children that belong to God and not us.

As we have parented our children, I can think of no other time that the weight of this responsibility has been more clear than two days ago when I was looking through my oldest daughters schoolwork. In her folder I found an assignment that was supposed to be a character sketch of whomever she chose. I pray that I can be the man she sees.
Click on picture to see a larger image.
Humbled, Jon





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,

That is fantastic! Boy...you sure have her fooled! Just kidding!

Jim

Anonymous said...

That is the absolue highest praise--next to hearing "well done, thou good and faithful servant"! You are doing well because you recognize not only the responsibility of parenting, but also realize what a GIFT your children are. And it's evident that your girls love and adore you--never wanting to disappont you. How sweet is that? That will go a long way toward keeping them pure and focused on the eternal during teen years....

YourBrother said...

Maybe I missed the point...
All I noticed was that your wife is doing a phenomenal job teaching your children how to write!
=)

Pastor Jon said...

Karen will be thrilled that you've noticed!

Anonymous said...

That IS a humbling moment and I have to agree with what was said about that being an amazing statement of how you are doing as a parent. Great Job. Don't let the "hehe" comments take away from this shining moment.

It is intimidating for US to read that because it causes US to gauge how WE are measuring up in our in integrity.

I am amazined because I got to see first hand all that you had struggled through as a teen yourself! Keep up the example brother! Or I guess I should say, "cousin."

-Mark

Pastor Jon said...

Mark, it is good to hear from you! I know that I am a difficult guy to get a hold of, but I communicate pretty well by email. If you would like to catch up, send me an email. Jon