Sunday, January 27, 2008

If you give Him an inch...

I have tried to avoid writing posts that are too personal. This is not because I am timid about sharing what the Lord is doing in my life, it is simply because it may not be relevant to all readers. However, in response to the request of a friend from Georgia, (I have not been posting as often as I should) I am adding to the content of this blog. If you are not interested in my personal life, or are searching for words of insight, please feel free to scroll down and read another post.

This has been a busy month. Embarking on a new year is typically busy for me. Tax season is coming, business decisions must be made, personal finances need to be evaluated, and New Year resolutions must be abandoned. (the last one is the easiest for me to accomplish)
In addition to this, our church puts out a financial plan for the coming year (budget is apparently a dirty word) and we also distribute an annual report containing all relevant information pertaining to the previous year. These things have occupied much of my time. This however has been more than a typical year.

This past weekend the deacons of our church went on a retreat. The purpose of this retreat was to evaluate the Biblical model of church polity. If you have read my previous posts you already know that I am convinced the Biblical model of polity is found in a plurality of Elders. Though I recognize that this has not been the typical Baptist model in recent years, Karen and I have been praying that the Lord would be able to use me in teaching this doctrine.

For those who may not have heard, the Lord is asking me to commit to a life of ministry. I am not sure where this road will go, but I know that I need to follow it. Every time that I have taught on Biblical Eldership, the Lord has impressed on me His desire for my life.

I remember hearing of many people that if you gave them an inch, they would take a mile. I have always taken that phrase in a negative light. I think it is ironic how the Lord can change our perspective. With the utmost adoration and respect, I sincerely believe that if you give the Lord an inch, He will take take you a mile. I don't know that I have ever been as thankful for that as I am today.

Praise the Lord!

No comments: