Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Lord's Timing?

I have to apologize for posting on a new topic without completing the last. I will have an additional post on the matter of our heroes, however, due to recent events that are unfolding around me, I have a question to pose...

We often talk about things happening in the Lord's timing, not our own. We also claim free will. God is not forcing us to make the decisions that we do. We do not teach that God is a Puppet Master. Why then, when we finally give in to the Lord, do we say that was in "the Lord's timing"?

At what point do we admit that we might have resisted the Lord? Do we really believe that everything that happens in our life is the perfect will of God? Wouldn't we consider it sin to resist God's work in our life? If we have been in sin, when we do give in, was it in the Lord's timing?

I know this is more than one question but I believe they are all related.

Do not fear to comment,
Jon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt 21:28-31...Out of your several questions, I think this should help answer at least ONE of them...

Pastor Jon said...

Matthew 21:28 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.

21:29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.

21:30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.

21:31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

Thanks for the verses. Was this done in the Lord's timing?
Jon

Anonymous said...

Good question. Thought-provoking. I believe that we can know it is "God's timing" when we have been seeking His will and direction with a PURE HEART. However, that is where it is hard for me personally at times. The heart is deceitful and wicked. I know that I have been self-deceived in the past and I need a constant check on my own heart and desires. That has certainly changed my prayer life in the recent past. I try to focus more now on asking for God's direction and timing rather than my own selfish desires and wishes. I pray less for my desires and more for HIS will. And I've finally stopped telling God what I think is best or trying to "manage" situations with prayer....Just a personal comment here....Your blog constantly challenges our thinking and habits. Love that!

MJB