Saturday, April 4, 2009

Invested in Education

I looked up some information about Omaha Public Schools. Here is a link for a good place to start reading.
http://www.ops.org/district/CENTRALOFFICES/GeneralAdministrativeServices/BudgetPlanningandAnalysis/tabid/118/Default.aspx

I spent the last hour trying to copy some of the information that I found, but this blog would not support the format. I decided to retype it as a Word Document so that I could paste it. That format wasn't supported either. Now I have no time to retype it as a post because I have to take my girls to the Awana Games.

It is interesting reading though to see that the OPS budget is over $500,000,000 per year. It is also interesting to note that their cash on hand varies greatly depending on which investments they are in!

3 comments:

YourBrother said...

Hey, thanks for the effort! :)
Is it worth reading through? I have trouble wading through all the extra junk. heh
So... OPS does rely on investments, eh?

Pastor Jon said...

It is probably not worth reading from the standpoint that there is little you can do about how they budget. In fact, it may just anger you.
Obviously public education is not working. It won't matter how they distribute their funds when the fault is with the system rather than the cost.

Anonymous said...

I looked up the link posted here before any comments were posted, and my first thought was, "Are you kidding??!! It would be a full time job just to wade through all these pages! I did peruse a little, though, enough to see that they did invest....so I guess that would explain why they were somewhat dependent on the economy. But I tend to think that is an excuse for mismanagement....