Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oh deer, I'm finally done!

I just want everyone to know that I am still alive and kicking. I know that there has been a long silence but it has not been due to my demise. This has been a very busy month! Business, church, the fire station, and hobbies have all conspired to keep me silent on this blog.

I have some things that I would like to write about as soon as things slow down. However, tonight I need to keep it short and simple.

Despite the fiasco of a few weeks ago, we have managed to fill our freezer with venison. We are hoping that the six deer we have processed will last us until next fall. I must give "kudos?" to my wife who has done a large portion of the processing in her kitchen!

This past week was an antlerless only rifle season. I went out with some friends and we managed to take 11 deer in 3 days. I know that this used to be a hobby for me, but with the rising cost of groceries, and the willingness of my wife to process the deer ourselves, the harvesting of deer has become increasingly more important. We now have a freezer filled with 200+#'s of steak, burger, breakfast sausage, and bratwurst. Last year we purchased half of a beef and had about the same amount of meat that we now have in venison. That half of a beef cost us about $740.00

I have to confess, I am glad deer season is over. I can now focus on some of the things that I have put on the back burner. One of which is to keep this blog updated.

On an unrelated matter, we have finished Malachi on Wed evenings at church. We are going to start the book of Philippians next Wednesday. As I teach through it, we are going to try and memorize the book. If anyone that reads this blog would like to join with us, I will try to keep you updated on which verses we are going to cover each week.

1 comment:

jubilee said...

Congrats on your haul! We feel blessed when The Calm One gets one deer in the season. Then again, he only has about two days to hunt. We usually get all burger and it works for us. We're also getting half a hog this winter. We've been able to share some of it with family and friends, so it works out quite well. Thank the Lord for His provisions!