Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rule On This One

I want to ask a two part question that might be unpopular in the church today. Why did the Lord include so many verses (for the church) in the Bible about "ruling" and how does this fit in with a view of the church being a democracy?

One that ruleth his own house, having his children is subjection with all gravity; For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church...

ruling their children and their own houses...

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of...

Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God...

Obey them that have the rule over you,...they watch for your souls, as they that must give account...

Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints.

he that ruleth, with diligence; he that showeth mercy...

Obviously these are all from the New Testament. If I were to include synonyms of "rule" the list would be longer.




3 comments:

YourBrother said...

Did you want an answer, or did you just want to inspire us to think?

I'm going to say that the original church must have been intended to be an authority...
Democracy would only work if everyone was on the same spiritual level, with a completely spiritual perspective, and the same spiritual gifts.
I am looking forward to reading the follow-up post where you do the teaching part. :)

YourBrother said...

Oh yeah, and sorry I've been absent. God has been working on me (in a particular area) so intensely that I haven't had an opportunity for anything else.
Not that the work is over with now, but at least I have a minute's respite.

Pastor Jon said...

Thanks for coming back! I've missed you.
The follow up post? I've been busy too! I had intended to follow up sooner because now I am on to another study.
Thanks for reading,
Jon