Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Plurality continued

As I have been studying through 1 Corinthians, the Lord has again brought further evidence to my mind that His model of the church was never to be left to the leading of one man.

Being a Baptist you may think it strange that the verses I will use to demonstrate these ideas come from a passage about the gifts. I want you to know however that I believe the gifts were up to God, not the individual. The reason I say that is that even as a Baptist I do not believe that God is no longer necessary (as many christians believe that the gifts are). I'll stop there because this post is not about gifts or signs, but about the model of the New Testament Church.

In 1 Cor 14 Paul is very clear that he is writing to encourage the believers to demonstrate their gifts in ways that edify the church. When we get to verse 19 Paul says" Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue."

Paul then says in verse 26 " How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying". Verse 29 " Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

Maybe I should first say that I believe the prophets here are men of understanding. The men that had a "revelation" in verse 26. These are the men that preach the doctrines of the church. Remember at this time they did not have the completed word like we do today. Today these men would be the men in the church that teach or preach the completed Word. After these men speak verse 30-33 says "If anything be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first (the first other verse 29) hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy (two or three vs 29) one by one, that all may learn, (the whole church) and all may be comforted. And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. (the prophets may choose not to speak) For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Lest you think I'm done, verse 37 says "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."

When Paul wrote to the Corinthian church he stated in Chapter 1:2 "with all that in every place" . He was speaking to the church today.

I recognize that this would take an entire sermon to try and explain, especially to a lifelong Baptist who doesn't understand the word prophet, but I am only trying to point out that the Lord wanted plurality in the church in order to protect doctrine. If the Lord allows, I will speak to the plurality of church leaders in regard to the church being a "body" at another time. The Lord bless, Jon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to disagree with your comments that you believe a pastor is giving in to peer pressure if he goes back to school for further education. I suppose if it is done for prestige or further "oppotunties" that would be a problem. I, however, have gone back to class for an additional 40 graduate hours AFTER my first seminary degree. My purpose was simply to become better equipped to do the ministry God has given me to do. In fact, I am getting ready to take another week of class in February to further hone my counseling knowledge and skills so that I am better prepared to do campus ministry. I am not giving in to peer pressure.

I do agree, however, that our churches need to do a much better job of discipleship!

Pastor Jon said...

John,
I think it is great that you are not giving in to peer pressure. I realize that I cannot make a blanket statement and have it apply to everyone!
I do however firmly believe that the Lord is capable of "honing" your skills even in the area of counseling. The point I was trying to make is that many times we fall into the trap of believing that it can only be done one way. Formal education.
The argument can be made that education is discipleship, the schools are part of the church, etc.

Follow the leading of the Lord!

Proverbs 3


1My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: 2For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. 3Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: 4So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. 5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Thanks for reading, God bless, Jon.